Friday, October 22, 2010

Chapter Four

In my recent contemplations of life, the universe and everything, I have become increasingly interested in something that is at the very core of our being, our individuality, our selves and those around us - perspective. I think we are extremely mistaken in thinking (what does that mean anyway?) that we all think in the same way. But of course we start by thinking that everyone perceives things the same way that we do because this is the only perspective we have in the first place (sorry if i am beginning to be a tad circular).

I suppose that the classic way to demonstrate this is the age old question of 'what is blue?' When you and I look up at a clear sky I would say the sky is blue, and you would agree. (My conversations are not usually this dull, I swear.) But what is 'blue'? Well... it's...a colour that is....blue. Damn.

I personally became aware of this difference in perspective with Cynic. I have always been aware that I am what you would call a 'visual thinker'. I remember the names of shops by recalling what their shopfront looked like, I remember words on a flashcard by how the handwriting appeared and trace the letters of a word with my finger to work out how to spell them. I was explaining to Cynic that I knew what his lounge room looked like because I could picture it. But, he pointed out, what did I mean by 'picture it'?

Basically, what I'm trying to get across is that I don't believe there is any sure way of knowing that my perception of the world is the same, or even similar, to yours. Furthermore, I believe that if there is a discrepancy between how you and I think, then this is often a major source for conflict. If we are not able to convey how differently we perceive a certain topic or situation, then there cannot be scope for understanding, only tolerance at the very best, and hence no chance of acceptance and respect of a differing view.

To finish, I'd just like to point out the fun of being a visual thinker, in that I often 'see' words in my head, but not always as they are intended...

You say, "beer can", i see a rastafarian rasher of bacon.


You say "Amanda", but I see...
  
You say "a lawn", I see a lonely scotsman.

And how could we forget the craziness of the American Bill of Rights?


Sorry if this post didn't make much sense, but I guess that just proves my point, right?

Until next time,
be nice to your mother.

3 comments:

  1. This is amazing. I sincerely hope that you drew those yourself in mspaint :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I most certainly did, as you can see by the crude yet poetic brushstrokes I employed

    ReplyDelete
  3. MS Paint is the greatest cultural tool to be invented since Gutenberg's printing press

    ReplyDelete